Friday, July 22, 2016

Health Equity is a form of Social Justice

Anonymous Interview; Region X (7/13/16)

1.     Identification:
           
           -What is your name? Anonymous 
           -Where were you born? Olympia Washington
           -Where did you grow up? Olympia Washington
           -Profession currently: Women’s Health; Breast Feeding
           -Region working in right now: Region 10 in Washington State
           -State living in right now: Olympia Washington

2.     Why are you interested in public health and how did you get into the field of public health?

I think I have a strong sense of justice, which is what brought me to public health. When I was a teenager, I stayed at a reservation in Washington to do community work with the local food-bank; I was not prepared for this experience and was horrified with the lack of access to resources or care I saw. This was only a few hours away from where I lived, and in my small bubble of Olympia I never knew there were people who didn’t always have clean running water or access to a dentist so close to me. An elder woman explained to me about the history of the boarding schools and the reservation beyond just what the textbooks in my high school taught me; it was such an eye-opening experience. I remember a deep unsettled feeling for weeks after returning home and trying to explain to my friends what I learned. Reflecting on my short time there,  I went off to college and was on the pre-med career path, thinking I could help people if I become a doctor or even a chemist. But when I continued to learn more about complex social issues, I realized I need to look into a systems approach, and this is how I ended up in public health. Thereafter, I got an internship within the department of health working with legislation analysis and how proposed bills or policy change affect population health, and I’ve been here ever since.

3.     What is health equity to you?

Health equity is a form of social justice. When I think of health equity, I think about the cross-sectionality of everything. For example something as simple as access to a bus stop could impact health equity. If you don’t have access to a bus stop, or if there are budget cuts that impact the time or place to access the route, you might have limited access to your job which will in turn affect the number of hours you are working at that job and the amount that you get paid. This could impact your access to insurance or to adequate food and nutrition. Something as simple as a bus route change could create a ripple effect, so when I think of health equity, I think of equitable access to the basic things people need to live.

Essentially, health equity to me is helping others receive equitable resources or support, such as health care or nutrition so that we can all live healthy lives.

4.     What are some challenges (that still persist) within the field of health equity in public health?

They are big and little issues—but one of the biggest challenges is that people are afraid of having their experiences erased. Especially those people that might have more privilege,  but still experienced struggle in different ways. Sensitivity and misunderstanding is the issue. Just because one group of people needs something more or we are bringing light to an issue within one population of people, doesn’t mean we are erasing the needs or invalidating the experiences of those in a more (privileged) group that might not need similar support. There is definitely a misunderstanding and fear of being forgotten (for those people who already have the resources but think it’s unequitable to give others what they are not receiving themselves). These misunderstandings cause some people to avoid the topic all together, or to make blanket statements that everyone struggles the same and if we all put forth the same effort we can equally get access to the things we need.

On the other hand, grant funding is also another barrier, and a lack of representation within public health. It becomes a challenge to address disparities if all the people at the decision table come from all similar backgrounds, life experiences, and cultures.

5.     Why do you think those challenges still persist?

Similar to 4. Lack of representation, sensitivity issues, and limited funding sources to do the                work.

6.     What models within your workforce have worked to encourage health equity?

Our department has 5 ways of doing it:
a) One is building department organizational health equity- representation
b) Developing and implementing health disparities tool; analyzing health outcomes
c) Working on partnership and assessment partnership
d) Policy related; facing economic issues
e) Ensuring that all organizations are visible and utilizing all social media outlets for health equity

7.     At the beginning of your career, what were some root causes for health inequities and health disparities? How has those changed (or not at all) following the end of your career?

Breastfeeding world- big public health issue, as breastfeeding can be an indicator for other health outcomes. Some root causes in breastfeeding rates are barriers in the workplace, hospital, clinical setting, and social pressures (including shame, historical trauma, and lack of representation). There are also issues with access to lactation consultants. There are ACA mandates that should cover lactation support visits, but insurance companies won’t recognize lactation consultants in our state since they’re not licensed, thus women have to pay out of pocket for care that should be covered. There have recently been pushes toward licensure of lactation consultants, so we will just have to see what happens.

Reflecting thus far in my career, I’ve found that policy and systems changes are important. This push for licensure within the breastfeeding world has opened doors that highlight bigger issues within public health, such as lack of representation and the social determinants of health. Some people even talked about racism. I didn’t expect this kind of conversation to come up from a push to license lactation consultants. There hasn’t been much change so far, yet, but the conversation to start change is happening in a way I never imagined it would.