Friday, July 22, 2016

11 years ago Social Determinants Framework did not exist

Evelyn Cruz Interview; Region V (7/14/16)

1.     Identification:

          -What is your name? Evelyn Cruz
          -Where were you born? Puerto Rico
          -Where did you grow up? Puerto Rico; left at age 18
          -Profession currently: Public Health program coordinator; work in the minority health program            at the state of division of public health
          -Region working in right now: Region 5
          -State living in right now: Wisconsin

2.     Why are you interested in public health and how did you get into the field of public health?

I was initially working in civil rights compliance- I had an interest in law, fairness and justice. I focused my work around Title VI of Civil Rights Act- working with language access issues. I ended up transitioning to working with minority populations and that lead me to work with the minority health program; that is how I ended up in public health 12 years ago.

3.     What is health equity to you?

When I think about health equity, I think about fairness in health outcomes. And are you having the same opportunities that other people have to be healthy? Do I have the same opportunity to be healthy as everybody else?

4.     What are some challenges (that still persist) within the field of health equity in public health?

When I came into the public health field 11 years ago, I noticed that the framework wasn’t there for social determinants; or it wasn’t well known. I think we have come a long way in understanding academically how this works now. But we haven’t really come a long way on how this plays out in the communities.

Also, how we think about evidence based practice. We work with evidence based practices, and that is great, but EBP don’t always worry about community context; and at times context is very important for addressing health disparities. We still have some way to go for understanding and recognizing Practice-Based-Evidence, what boots on the ground do to address health disparities. How communities build on assets, mitigate barriers and work whole-heartedly and caringly.

And what is interesting is that I am still working on language access- which essentially brought me to the field of public health. Unfortunately, I am still working on the same issues right now that I was working on when I hadn’t started to work in the field of public health.

Overall, often we have the frameworks but we don’t always know what to do with them. There is no denying that most Public Health workers want to the right thing…but we have to understand how to operationalize these public health frameworks.

5.     Why do you think those challenges still persist?

Similar to my response to question 4- we conceptually know and we DO want to do the right thing but we don’t always know how

6.     What models within your workforce have worked to encourage health equity?

Enhanced National CLAS standards—a useful framework; provides more of a business perspective on what implementing equity looks like. It provides a good justification, and breaks the standards down into 3 manageable parts.
An increased emphasis about the social determinants of health model; the (RWJF) County Health Ranking; and Healthy People 2020 (as well as the Healthiest Wisconsin 2020). Also workforce training regarding cultural humility and unconscious bias.

7.     At the beginning of your career, what were some root causes for health inequities and health disparities? How has those changed (or not at all) following the end of your career?


When I first came into Public health we had difficulty understanding how to use social determinants of health model. Having a life course perspective and having the social determinants model was a new way of looking at the causes of health outcomes and disparities more comprehensively and provided a more helpful framework for encouraging system initiatives.